Hey Google! Welcome to Sonos.
Sonos adds the Google Assistant via a free software update on Sonos in the United States; Additional countries to follow in July.
Santa Barbara, Calif. - May 14, 2019 - Today Sonos (Nasdq: SONO) brings the smart control of the Google Assistant to Sonos’ brilliant sound experience. As the first to bring multiple voice assistants to the same sound system, Sonos demonstrates the power of an open, multi-partner platform that prioritizes choice for customers. Use voice with the Google Assistant built-in to Sonos One or Sonos Beam, or with a connected Google Home product to easily start a song, queue a TV show, check the weather, and control the smart home. The free software update will be available starting today in the United States. Support in the UK, Germany, Canada, Australia, France, and The Netherlands comes in July with additional countries to follow on a rolling basis over the coming months.
“We value freedom of choice, empowering listeners to choose what they want to listen to and how they want to control it. Adding voice, now with the Google Assistant, has made that control even easier,” said Patrick Spence, Sonos CEO. “We partnered with Google to build this integration from the ground up, layering in the best of the Google Assistant into the Sonos ecosystem of products and partners. Today we’re the first company to have two voice assistants working concurrently on the same system, a major milestone for the industry. We imagine a day where we’ll have multiple voice assistants operating concurrently on the same device.”
The Google Assistant is Sonos’ second built-in voice assistant. Customers on Sonos will have the ability to choose an assistant for each individual speaker, with multiple voice assistants on a single system. With the Google Assistant on Beam in the living room and Alexa on the Sonos One in the kitchen, start a song with the Google Assistant, ask Alexa what’s playing, and vice versa.
Not just music and TV, Sonos will support the Google Assistant’s top first party actions and features, including Continued Conversation, Broadcast mode, and the ability to choose a different voice for the assistant. Bringing the richness of the Google ecosystem and integration within the smart home, the Google Assistant on Sonos also includes more than one million actions from partner products. Additional features and actions will be available through ongoing updates, bringing even more to the Google Assistant experience on Sonos. At launch, customers will enjoy:
- System control. Built on Sonos' open platform of products and partners, listeners can start a song using AirPlay from Apple Music, ask tge Google Assistant to go to the next track, and turn the volume down in the Sonos App. In addition, just one supported voice-enabled device allows for customers to request music or content to be played on other Sonos speakers in the system (Play:1, for example).
- Music, news, and radio. Request and control with voice from a growing list of streaming services, including: Spotify, YouTube Music, Google Play Music, TIDAL, TuneIn, iHeartRadio and Deezer to start. Use voice to go to the next song, change the volume, or pause with all streaming services available on Sonos.
- Easy control for TV with Sonos Beam. Turn on the TV with the Google Assistant using Beam’s HDMI ARC connection and CEC, switch from TV to music, and adjust the volume. Add a Chromecast Ultra to get additional features with voice for TV, including requesting specific shows or movies from streaming services.
- Get answers, manage tasks and plans. Hear a daily brief, flight information or commute time, set alarms, timers, and pull up calendar appointments or get answers on weather, calculations, translations, sports, and more. This is all part of the Google ecosystem -- ask Google Assistant for directions and have them sent directly to an Android phone.
- Connect with Smart Home. Ask the Google Assistant on Sonos to adjust the temperature or turn on the light. At this time, there are more than 200 million devices in homes globally that work with the Google Assistant now on Sonos.
Sonos & the Google Assistant Present: The Brilliant Sound Experience
To showcase the power of Sonos sound paired with the smart control of the Google Assistant, Sonos and Google are delivering a series of multi-sensory installations for the public in New York, June 7-9. Featuring new music from The National and Holly Herndon, alongside tracks curated by the iconic Beggars Group labels (Rough Trade, 4AD, XL, Matador and Young Turks), the Google Assistant on Sonos will guide visitors to explore how sound works, how it layers into music, and why music sparks emotion. Learn more and RSVP.
Sonos (Nasdaq: SONO) is one of the world’s leading sound experience brands. As the inventor of multi-room wireless home audio, Sonos innovation helps the world listen better by giving people access to the content they love and allowing them to control it however they choose. Known for delivering an unparalleled sound experience, thoughtful home design aesthetic, simplicity of use and an open platform, Sonos makes the breadth of audio content available to anyone. Sonos is headquartered in Santa Barbara, California. Learn more at www.sonos.com.