Release Notes for Sonos Software Version 6.1
Current software version
This update introduces support for the beta of Apple Music on Sonos. Be among the first to enjoy the following features:
- For You: Browse and play recommended albums based on what you already listen to and love.
- New: Explore handcrafted playlists from music experts, find the perfect playlist for any activity, and listen to all the hits from our Top Charts.
- Radio: Hear Beats 1 Radio worldwide—broadcasting from L.A., New York, and London—and listen to handcrafted stations based on genres and themes.
- My Music: Listen to all the music you already own and love, and browse over 30 million songs in the Apple Music catalog.
In addition to Apple Music support, this update includes performance enhancements for various music services.
To add Apple Music to your Sonos system, iOS 8.4.1 or later or an Android phone using Android 4.3 or later is required. You must also upgrade your Sonos system to software version 6.1.
Apple Music cannot be added to a Sonos system using Kindle devices, Android tablets, or the Sonos Controller App for Mac or Windows, but Apple Music on Sonos can be controlled from these devices once it is set up with a supported device. You can continue to use the Sonos app on these devices to control your Sonos system, add other music services, and so on.
To take advantage of the music service performance enhancements, you can update to Sonos software version 6.1 on devices with the following OS versions:
- iOS 7 and later (note that devices using iOS 6 will experience the limited functionality described below when updated to Sonos version 6.1)
- iPhone 4 or later
- iPod touch (5th generation or later)
- iPad 2 or later
- Macintosh® OS X 10.7 and later
- Android: 2.2 and later
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR OWNERS OF SONOS CONTROLLERS ON iOS DEVICES
If your device is using iOS 6 and you upgrade to Sonos version 6.1, the Settings menu will have limited options and devices running iOS 6 will not be able to:
- Add or remove music services (including trial services)
- Reauthorize a music service account
- Manage music services or the music library
- Set up a new Sonos system (you can connect to an existing Sonos system)
- Add a player, SUB, BOOST, or BRIDGE
- Tune a speaker with Trueplay
- Access Room, BOOST, or BRIDGE settings
- Access advanced settings (some options, such as About, Forget, Reset, and Submit Diagnostics, will be available from the Settings menu)
Before upgrading your Sonos app to version 6.1, update your iOS device to iOS 7 or later so you will have access to all features of the Sonos app on your phone or tablet.