Release Notes for Sonos Software Version 7.0
Current software version
Play music from Spotify straight to Sonos, fine-tune Sonos home cinema setups with Trueplay, and more.
Play music from Spotify straight to Sonos
You can now use the Spotify app to control your Sonos speakers at home – the same app you use to stream music when you’re out and about. You’ll still use your Sonos app to add new speakers and perform various other functions. But if you really love how the Spotify app works, you can now use it to send your favourite music directly to Sonos. Having both the Spotify and Sonos apps gives you the power of two great options to control your music—and the freedom to use whichever you prefer.
You can now use the Spotify app to:
- Send whatever you’re playing on Spotify to any of your Sonos speakers.
- Group all your rooms together, house party style.
- Crank up the volume in every room at once.
- Transfer a song from your headphones to a Sonos speaker.
- Share control of your music with any friends who have the Spotify app and are connected to your WiFi network.
If you want to control your Sonos with the Spotify app, you’ll still need to set up a Sonos account. A Sonos account lets your Sonos and Spotify apps work together securely and reliably. You'll also use it to manage and expand your Sonos system, both in the app and on www.sonos.com.
Trueplay tuning for home cinema
You can now use the Trueplay feature on the Sonos app on your iPhone or iPad to fine-tune any Sonos home cinema setup. Just go to Room Settings, select the room with your TV and PLAYBAR, then tap Trueplay Tuning.
Trueplay bounces sound off various surfaces in the room to analyse the distance from each wall, and the position of your PLAYBAR, SUB and any paired rear speakers in the room. Then it adjusts the timing, EQ and loudness for each woofer and tweeter precisely, making sure the sound arrives from every direction at the perfect instant and volume. Which makes everything you watch feel more immersive, more intense and more real.
Use the new Trueplay tuning update to:
- Custom tune your PLAYBAR for better sound based on your favourite viewing spot.
- Balance and fine-tune any combination of Sonos speakers in your home cinema setup—from PLAYBAR, with or without SUB, to full 5.1 surround sound with Sonos rear channels.
- Set up your Sonos home cinema system however you want, and it will be tuned to sound its best in any given room.
Even better sound from PLAYBAR
We’ve fine-tuned the centre channel and adjusted the EQ to make sure music sounds even richer, and movie dialogue cuts through crisp and clear. You’ll feel each note and catch every whisper and mumble, whether your PLAYBAR is mounted above, below or resting in front of your TV.
System Requirements, Alerts & Warnings
Sonos 7.0 supports the following OS versions:
- Android: Android 4.0 and higher (certain features require higher versions of Android)
- iOS: iOS 8 and higher (certain features need higher versions of iOS)
- macOS: 10.9 and higher
- Windows®: Windows 7 and higher
Alert: Trueplay speaker tuning
To successfully tune your Sonos speakers with Trueplay, your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch must be running iOS 8 or higher. This includes iPhone 4s and higher, iPad 2 and higher, and iPod touch 5th generation and higher.
Warning: Partially Supported Controllers
Upon installing 7.0, Sonos controllers on these operating systems will remain Partially Supported Controllers:
- Android: 2.2, 2.3, and 3.x
- iOS: 7.0 (iPhone 4)
- Windows: XP and Vista™
- macOS: 10.7 (Lion) and 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
Partially Supported Controllers can still browse, search, and play music. But they’ll no longer be able to perform tasks like setting up Sonos components, adding new services, or changing room EQ settings.