Release Notes for Sonos Software Version 5.4
Current software version
Sonos is committed to keep improving the home listening experience. Enhancements and changes included in the latest free software update are listed below.
- Radio by TuneIn has new icons and high-resolution album art making browsing more fun!
- Improvements to viewing tracks in an album take better advantage of the space on your tablet.
GOOGLE PLAY MUSIC IMPROVEMENTS
Select Google Play Music from the Sonos music menu and check out new features like recommendations based on the time of day, recent activity, enhanced playlist support and more.
We’ve improved shuffle so now you can see how it affects the queue. Turn on shuffle and the order of the tracks in the queue changes. Don’t like the new order? Turn shuffle off to return the tracks to their original playback order. Turn shuffle on again and get a different mix!
We’ve enhanced the clarity and presence of the Play:1 sound as well as optimized the Play:1 bass performance when it is paired with a Sub.
SIMPLER SETUP FOR SURROUND SOUND
In this release we've made home theater setup even easier. Your Sub or surrounds can now bond to a Playbar without the need for a Sonos component to be wired to your router. Follow the steps in the Sonos app to set up your home theater. If your Sonos home theater is already set up – no need to change a thing.
IMPORTANT NEWS FOR SONOS CONTROL (CR200) OWNERS
Starting with Sonos version 5.4, the Room Settings, Add Music Services, Manage Services, Manage Music Library, and Add a Sonos Component options will no longer appear on the CONTROL Settings menu. You will no longer be able to use the CONTROL to:
- Set up a new Sonos system
- Add new components
- Change room settings
- Create a stereo pair
- Add/manage music services
- Add/manage music libraries
Instead, use the Sonos app on your smartphone, tablet or computer to perform these tasks.
Beginning with Sonos software version 5.4, only devices running the following OS versions are supported:
- Android: 2.2 and higher (certain features require higher versions of Android)
- iOS devices running iOS 6 and higher (certain features require higher versions of iOS)
- iPhone 3GS or later
- iPod touch 4th generation or later
- iPad 2 or later
- Macintosh® OS X 10.7 and higher
- Windows® XP SP3 and higher
UPDATE MUSIC LIBRARY INDEX ON MAC
- If you have Mac OS X 10.7 and higher: When you open the Sonos Controller for Mac the first time after upgrading to Sonos version 5.4, you will be prompted to update the music library index. While the index is updating, you will not have access to the music library, but you can play music from other sources (for example, from a music service). If you do not update your music index, you will not be able to add music folders to your library or add music to existing folders in your library.
- If you have Mac with OS X 10.6: Since you cannot update to Sonos version 5.4, you will not be prompted to update your music library index. You can continue to play music from your existing music library, but you will not be able to add music folders to your library or add music to existing folders in your library.
STREAMING AUDIO REQUIREMENTS
Sonos does not support MPEG 2.5 audio formats that have sample rates of 12 kHz and below. Most of our partners stream above this rate, but there might be some stations on services that do not have alternate streams.