How to play music on Sonos via AirPlay.
If you’re looking to use AirPlay on Sonos for NetFlix or other AirPlay-compatible apps, here is your guide.
What is AirPlay?
Apple AirPlay lets you wirelessly stream content from an iOS device (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad) or a computer running iTunes to compatible speakers and home cinema receivers.
While Sonos speakers do not have AirPlay built in, it is possible to set up AirPlay to stream sources like iTunes Radio, Apple Music or other AirPlay-compatible apps. Music can be streamed throughout your entire home on Sonos using an AirPort Express or Apple TV.
The two solutions below will let you play any audio source from your iPhone or iPad to your Sonos speakers, including your favourite podcast apps.
Using AirPlay on Sonos via AirPort Express
If your home network is set up via AirPort Express, all you need to do is:
- Connect your AirPort Express to the line-in port on a Sonos speaker or stereo component. The PLAY:5 speaker, CONNECT and CONNECT:AMP all have line-in ports.
- Select “Line-In” as the music source in your Sonos app.
- With the Apple Music app or iTunes app on your Apple device, play the music you want.
- Click on the AirPlay icon and choose AirPort Express as your audio content source.
- Voilà! Now you can stream Apple Music or iTunes Radio the same way you would any other audio content.
A step-by-step guide to set up AirPlay on your Sonos PLAY:5 smart speaker via AirPort Express is available on our Support site.Learn more.
Using AirPlay on Sonos via Apple TV
Apple TV is a digital media player that connects to your TV or home cinema receiver to play movies and music you rent or purchase from the iTunes store. It has AirPlay built in and can access internet services such as Netflix and YouTube.
Sonos PLAYBAR is the smart soundbar that delivers amazing sound for your TV, as well as any source that is connected directly to it - including Apple TV. Here’s how to use AirPlay with PLAYBAR using your Apple TV:
- Plug the Apple TV into your HDTV, and your HDTV into the Sonos PLAYBAR soundbar with a digital optical cable.
- Now, select the Apple Music app or iTunes Radio app on your Apple device such as your iPhone or iPad, and choose the audio content.
- Click on the AirPlay icon on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, choose the source to be this Apple TV to play the music or radio programming the same way you would any other video or audio content.
Note: You could even select the iTunes Radio icon from your Apple TV interface on your TV screen. Choose the radio station or track you want to listen to and it will stream through the Sonos PLAYBAR soundbar. To play in another room of your home, group the PLAYBAR with another Sonos speaker and you can stream iTunes Radio in both rooms.